Recruitment

Lundstorm - Restoration Shaman

If you wish to apply to us, this is the place for you!

by Phlaxy » 27 Sep 2019, 22:52

General:

Your Name, Age, Gender and Location:
Alexander, 27, male, Sweden.
Have been called Phlaxy for so long that there’s a long delay in reaction when people call me Alex.

Tell us a little bit about yourself (non-WoW related Interests, Hobbies etc)
I’m slowly working towards my PhD in informatics, pretty much just so I can call myself a Doctor. Previously studied digital arts with a focus on game development.
Have been involved with competitive eSports in two other games in the past.
I love ice cream, Ricardo Milos and hockey, especially San José Sharks.
In my spare time, the little I have outside of WoW, I mostly dick around with art, 3D modelling, animation, video editing and playing a very few selection of my almost 2000 games on Steam.

Character Information:

Armory Link:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/chara ... /Lundstorm

Battletag:
Phlaxy#2629

Describe your choice of talents and why you've chosen them:
15: Unleash Life - No other viable option.
30: Echo of the Elements - No other viable option.
45: Spirit Wolf, unless root or frequent stuns are needed.
60: Earthen Wall Totem, or Ancestral Protection Totem if a ress totem is needed.
75: Graceful Spirit, or Wind Rush Totem if raid mobility is needed.
90: Cloudburst Totem for constant incoming damage, or Downpour for short spikes of inc dmg.
100: High Tide, or Wellspring if the raid lacks AoE healing
Wellspring will almost always yield the highest HPS, but I would only advise using it if the raid really needs AoE healing. High Tide plays better together with the Shaman’s ability for triage healing. IMO that’s more important than padding numbers, numbers which you probably would steal from your other healers, and in doing so the overall overhealing will increase. (I’ve actually looked into this, but it was hard to determine if it was significant or not, since my data were from kills, and it doesn’t really matter that much then)

How do you prioritize your stats and why?
Critical strike > Versatility = Mastery > Haste
Every % of crit chance effectively increases the healing with 1% and causes Resurgence to proc more often and return mana.
The general stat priority would put Mastery at the bottom with Haste because of how “poorly” it scales. But I would honestly argue for it to be even better than Vers. The same amount of Vers and Mastery rating heals for the same amount on a 72% HP target. At 44% HP Mastery rating is twice as effective as Vers. Since Chain Heal bounces to the most injured targets, it will on average heal people who are below 50% HP way more often than above.
Though depending on the fights, stat priorities varies, which is why I’ve got different gear sets in the bag ready to be swapped. Vers is obviously stronger in a pure dps race and Mastery where strong healing is crucial.

Where do you acquire knowledge about your Class?
I gather general information from wowhead, icy veins, ancestralguidance, forums and check in on multiple discord servers. But I’ve found parts of their guides and conclusions to be somewhat faulty. There’s not much reasoning behind some things nor data to back it up. So I mostly just check them out and compile the data I find useful. I personally gain more from crunching raw numbers, theorycrafting, trial and error, analyzing my own logs and logs from a selected few of the top 100 on WCL and then summarise it all.
I’d be more than happy to share every calculation and theories if anyone’s interested.

Paste a your UI via [img]LINK[/img] IN COMBAT
(Ensure that all Key Bindings are visible)

What state is the state of your Heart of Azeroth?
Neck level 70.
Got all essences on rank 3, except for the PvP ones, which are rank 2 and 1. But will get them soon enough.

For essences I find the standard use of Memory of Lucid Dreams to be a waste of a Major, might even be a waste of a Minor. I’ve analyzed multiple logs and found that there’s rarely a mana problem that this major essence would fix.
The general setup I run is:
Major - Vision of Perfection.
Minor - Life-Binder’s Invocation.
Minor - The Ever-Rising Tide.
My own theorized build would be:
Major - Life-Binder’s Invocation.
Minor - Vitality Conduit.
Minor - The Crucible of Flame / The Ever-Rising Tide.
The latter has worked way better in practise than I theorized and is something I could argue for, especially Life-Binder’s Invocation as a Major. Haven’t compiled the data on paper and done a detailed analysis to compare the essences yet though.

Link to your raid logs:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/user/reports-list/915606/

Raiding History:

Describe your previous/current raiding experience:
My experiences from previous expansions are lacking. I only properly raided in WotLK as a Holy Paladin. Then followed years of not playing at all or only doing PvP and LFR.

It wasn’t until early this year that I started raiding for real. Joined Tre Lowen and got thrown straight into the hellish Mythic Opulence. I was terrified of screwing up and performed poorly. After that I spent hours on analyzing logs, researching and discussing. Within the month I had improved significantly and towards the end of the tier I was an officer for the healers and backed Merin up with the raid planning and log analyzing. We only ended up getting 7/9M though.
In EP I cleared HC and 3/8M early on, before deciding to leave the guild. Since then I’ve occasionally puged HC.

Tell us about your previous guilds and your reasons for leaving them:
Since I got back to WoW at the end of Legion, after years of not playing, I haven’t really been in any guilds since WotLK, and even then it wasn’t anything like a proper guild. The server were populated with tons of Swedes and a lot of IRL connections, so we were like a big Swedish community, it was as awful as it sounds.

I joined Tre Lowen early on this year and stayed with them until last month. Since you’ve already got two old TL members you might know a bit about the guild already. There were huge gaps between people in skill sets, ambition and the amount of effort people were willing to put it. But the major thing that led me to leave, and temporarily give up the raiding I really enjoyed, was a long series of events that I will summarise as lack of strong leadership and moral standings. If you’re interested in more details I’d rather take it in private. Together with the loss of members, such as Merin, I slowly stopped enjoying our raids.

More Information:

Can you meet our raid schedule of Wed/Thur/Mon 21:00 to 00:00 server time with at least 90% attendance?
Yes. It fits the time I’m usually the most active in WoW.

We also raid on Sunday at the start of a new raiding tier. Are you aware of this?
Yes.

Are you able to Listen and Speak on Teamspeak?
Yes.

What qualities do you bring to a Raid?
Good mechanical skills, great analytical capabilities, fast learner and have easy to adapt. Listens to, and follow, directives. Will give it my all for the success of the team.

How comfortable are you playing your offspecs?
I can play them. Enjoy Enh, but not really a viable spec. Can play Ele quite well, but would need to brush up on it a time or two before being good enough for Mythic.

How do you feel about progression raiding?
I really enjoy it. I love analyzing logs, finding what went wrong and try to solve it. Doing theorycrafting and coming up with new strategies, whether they get used or not, is really fun.

Where did you hear about Curse of Years and do you know anyone in the guild?
I used to glance at CoY when I checked server rankings. Then Merin joined and I’ve been checking in more often, and in detail, looking through logs and sending my thoughts to Merin. I also know who Harry is, but I only joined a week or two before he left TL for CoY.

What encouraged you to apply to Curse of Years?
I’ve been really wanting to get back into proper raiding and wanted to join a guild with skillful players capable of CE. I also wanted a guild with active members, even outside of the raids, to do m+ etc with. By the looks of it, you’ve got it all. Merin has also spoken highly of the guild and suggested I should apply. When I’ve tuned in on some of your member’s streams my impression of the atmosphere has been positive.

Do you play outside of raid?
My lvl 70 neck should prove that I play a lot. Beside the braindead grinding of WQs and dicking around in wPvP, I’ve started to really enjoy m+ again and would like to push past 15 amd towards 20 keys. Will probably get back into some PvP again soon as well. Other than that I’m almost always online just to keep the money flowing on AH. That’s one of my major addictions. I even have the game on when I’m not at home, just so I can access my PC from my phone and buy/sell.

Is there anything else you'd like to add to your application?
https://www.lundstorm.com/

Attached a spreadsheet of some of my calculations on the website as well.

Tell us a joke:
In every election in Sweden I try to recruit people to vote for PHLAXY. I’ve secured over 10 votes so far, so should be part of the government soon enough.
Phlaxy

by Gnarl » 28 Sep 2019, 01:29

Thanks for the application. We'll be in touch in a few days once our members have had some time to discuss it.
Gnarl

by Candles » 28 Sep 2019, 01:53

Ricardo Milos. I see you are a man of culture aswell!
Candles

by Gnarl » 02 Nov 2019, 15:42

Unfortunately we will not be able to offer you a trail.
Apologies for the lack of response on our part, I thought this had been communicated to you through other channels.
Gnarl

Return to Recruitment