Recruitment

Balance Druid Application

If you wish to apply to us, this is the place for you!

by nexin » 23 Jun 2021, 01:33

General:

Your Name, Age, Gender and Location:
Hi! I'm Max, 24 years old and from The Netherlands.

Tell us a little bit about yourself (non-WoW related Interests, Hobbies etc):
I'm working fulltime as a software engineer for a Dutch university and in the final stages of writing my MSc thesis in computer science. Needless to say, I'm a big fan of MMOs and video games in general. I started playing WoW when I was about 10 years of age and ever since, no other game comes close to the enjoyment I get from playing with like-minded people in WoW.
Outside of Azeroth, I keep myself busy with hobby software projects and like to keep healthy by going to the gym four times a week.

Character Information:

Armory Link:
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/eu/arathor/nexin
As a side note, I challenged myself not to transmog for the whole of this expansion so I'm sorry if my character hurts your eyes.

Battletag:
Nexin#2641

What strengths does your class currently bring to the raid (eg; Arms warrior bringing 2 target cleave and execute or Nightfae hunters bringing AOE burst)
The points made below are based on the asssumption that Night Fae + Balance of all Things will remain the best setup for Balance Druids. As of the current sims, Venthyr with another legendary might be better in 9.1 but this is only on paper so far.
TL;DR - Balance druids excel this tier due to their great single target burst with Convoke (+ double on-use trinkets on certain fights to capitalize on this), combined with strong uncapped AoE damage. On top of this, and perhaps most useful in raids is the ability to cast while moving, making balance druids an excellent choice for extra jobs during the encounter, or it simply serving as a DPS increase in movement-heavy fights.

Longer version:

Single target damage: Balance druids shine in a single target burst scenario, utilizing the combination of Convoke the Spirits, Celestial Alignment (= 2x Balance of all Things buff + dmg increase) and then dumping all astral power in Starsurges to further empower both eclipses. Using the Balance of all Things legendary, balance druids can still bring decent burst to the team even when convoke + CA are on cooldown using resource pooling and dumping 3x starsurge at the start of an eclipse (this should always be the goal with BoaT). In Castle Nathria, Council attendents or Huntsman adds are great use-cases of this.
Multi target damage: In AoE situations, balance druids need some ramp-up time to get the first starfall up-and-running, apply sunfire once and apply moonfire to all targets when in solar eclipse. When given the time to do so, the sustained damage is hard to top for other classes. To use a Castle Nathria encounter as example again, this can be seen on the Council waiter adds. The uncapped AoE damage of Starfall alone is significant, so in hectic situations where movement is unavoidable, having a Starfall active already provides decent AoE damage. Example: the later stages of the Sun King fight.
Utility and survivability: The base utility and survivability of a balance druid is already good, consisting of Innervate for healers, Typhoon for add position adjustment, Stampeding Roar for movement phases, Rebirth, 1-minute CD defensive, auto-self heal on low health and a hefty chunk of armor. Balance druid talents further improve this, providing Vortex for additional add adjustment (which interacts nicely with Typhoon) or more survivability and a 4-second stun or mass root or heavy healing cooldown.
Mobility: Druids are known for their mobility, having a jump with Wild Charge and multiple sprint-like abilties. This tier provides even more mobilty, with the NF Wild Charge ability and most notably casting while moving with the Stellar Drift talent.

How comfortable are you playing your offspecs?
My main spec has always been Balance since early WotLK, but I aim to provide what the team needs and am very willing to invest time into offspecs if necessary. At this point in time I would not call myself very comfortable with offspecs yet.

Paste your UI via [img]LINK[/img] IN COMBAT
(Ensure that all Key Bindings are visible)

Regarding the keybindings, I play using a Razer Naga (12 buttons mimicking the 1-9,0,-,-,= on the keyboard) but my 1 key is recently gone bad, hence why Prowl is on 1.

Link to your raid logs using using [url]LINK[/url].:
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/eu/arathor/nexin

Raiding History:
Describe your previous/current raiding experience:
I have been playing on Arathor(/Hellfire) since TBC and have only been in a handful of guilds, which is – in my opinion - a positive attribute of mine.

2007 – 2013 (TBC – MoP): Philosophy - Arathor
This was a group of friends I joined as my first guild and they were the first interaction I had with a (casual) raiding guild. Bear in mind I was only 10 years old when I started playing, so I only joined the first proper raiding team in WotLK's Naxxramas. I somehow conviced them I was 16 instead of 11 (which is why - to this date - my English voice is a bit heavier than my Dutch voice). My memories of Naxxramas are not very vivid, I cannot remember if we cleared it or not on 10 man.
After Naxxramas, we cleared Ulduar during a couple of months (altough no hard-modes except for 1 or 2 towers on Flame Leviathan). The guild became progressively more serious over the years, resulting in a few heroic bosses in Trial of the Crusader and Icecrown Citadel (not only gunship) in addition to all normal bosses. It stayed this way (clearing normal plus 2-3 heroic bosses) all the way until Dragon Soul, after which I took a long break during MoP.

2014 (Early WoD): Flow - Arathor
Returning from a break I wanted to step up my game and join a somewhat more serious guild. Flow was a new guild aspiring server first kills at the time. This resulted in us banging our heads against the wall on Butcher heroic, which was a meter check. The guild disbanded after a few weeks progression due to toxic leaders leaving and after this experience I decided to be guildless for a while.

2015 – now (WoD – current): Tre Lowen - Hellfire
Right around the release of HFC, I joined Tre Lowen (one of the longest standing raiding guilds on the server) and we pushed to 11/13 Mythic with Gorefiend probably being my proudest kill to date.
Next came Emerald Nightmare, a fairly easy tier in which we managed to get cutting edge. Trial of Valor we achieved 2/3M and Nighthold 6/10M.
After this, Tre Lowen was repeatedly struggling with leaving members and reforming the team, resulting in only getting halfway most mythic raids following and ending with 10/12M Ny'alotha. I was not raiding in retail during most BfA raids, and playing classic instead. In classic I cleared everything up to and including AQ40 but decided to come back to retail forever, as it poses more interesting challenges in my opinion.
Currently 7/10M, Tre Lowen did fairly well, as a newly appointed raid leader (Keats, recently joined Curse of Years) reinvigorated the lust for progress in many older players but the skill difference in the team was huge.

More Information:

Can you meet our raid schedule of Wed/Thur/Mon 21:00 to 00:00 server time with at least 90% attendance?
Yes, of course.

What encouraged you to apply to Curse of Years?
During my years of playing WoW I learned that it's most enjoyable when surrounding yourself with players with similar goals. I have been playing on Arathor since 2007 and Curse of Years (or Myst earlier) has always had a good reputation on the server due to their consistent good performance. If I think of Curse of Years, I see a group of players that aims to tackle all bosses in an efficient and timely manner, while having fun in the process. This is the mindset of players I want to surround myself with.
I like to think of myself as a good addition to your roster, given my years of experience with raiding, my extensive preparation for fights, and relaxed and stable attitute.

Do you play much outside of raiding?
I do! Running mythic plus with like-minded people is what I enjoy most. Additionally, I'm always optimizing my rotation, experimenting with new talents and legendaries. Last but not least, I have a slight obsession with ticking off boxes: collecting mounts, battle pets, achievements, etc. and this can be a time sink.

Is there anything else you'd like to add to your application?
Thank you for reading my long application. If you have any questions, want clarifications or would just like to have a chat, I'm always in for a voice chat!
nexin

by Ryna » 24 Jun 2021, 13:54

Hey. Thanks for applying, Copying your app to the members section for discussion and someone will get back to you.
Ryna

by Nagassh » 05 Jul 2021, 15:12

Application declined I'm afraid.
Really sorry for the slow response, the patch release and raid prep has been a major distraction.
Nagassh

Return to Recruitment